Study Spanish language and culture in Spain!
Summer study in Salamanca, Spain offers courses in advanced Spanish language and civilization for both language majors and non-majors. Language courses are taught by native Spanish instructors; civilization courses are taught by Wheaton faculty. Students live in Spanish homes for one month. The program includes two weeks of touring; sites visited may include Madrid, El Escorial, Toledo, Granada, Córdoba, Sevilla, Mérida, Segovia, Avila, León, Santiago de Compostela, Bilbao and other locations of interest. The final week in Barcelona includes a service project with national Christians.
- Sponsoring Department: Foreign Languages
- Program Leader(s): Professor Sharenda Barlar and Dr. Christine Kepner
- Term: Summer (offered alternate summers)
- Orientation Sessions: Spring Semester - B Quad
- Program Dates: May 19 - July 11, 2020
- Estimated Cost: $7,400.00 (airfare not included)
- Prerequisites: Students must have completed SPAN 331: Spanish Conversation with a B or better; it is recommended that students complete SPAN 332: Advanced Grammar and Composition. Students must register for the Spring Semester B-quad class SPAN 352: Orientation to Spain - Country Study (2 credit hours).
- Eligibility: Open to Wheaton and non-Wheaton students
- Highlights: The program, offered alternate summers, gives students the opportunity for language and cultural immersion in Spain.
All students earn 8 credit hours; for an additional fee, students can complete an Independent Study for 2 credit hours. The courses offered meet requirements for the Spanish major and minor.
- SPAN 338: Intensive Advanced Spanish Language (4 hours)
Advanced grammar, conversation, and composition taught by native speakers in a Spanish university setting.
- SPAN 334: Spanish Civilization and Culture (4 hours)
On-site study of Spanish history, architecture, art, politics, and society.
Students may choose to enroll in the following course (optional):
- SPAN 495: Independent Study (2 hours)
Varied subjects, including literary and cultural study with emphasis on Christian perspectives of Hispanic culture. Surcharge and extra work required before/after the program.
This program fulfills the study abroad requirement for the Spanish major at Wheaton College.
The estimated program fee includes 8 credit hours of tuition (Span 495 requires an additional tuition charge for 2 credit hours), group land transport in Spain, excursions, entrance fees, lodging, and meals. Students will be responsible for the cost of international airfare, books, metropasses in Barcelona, and any personal expenses and souvenirs. Please note that students who need a more substantive lunch during the 28 days of travel should budget enough to supplement the 10 Euro (approximately $11.00 US) lunch allowance provided by the program. We recommend that students budget approximately $500 for personal expenses/souvenirs.
How to Apply
To apply, visit GoGlobal, Wheaton College's registration system for off-campus study and international travel, research, and internships.